Amongst the myriad exhortations to embrace the new year with gusto, I wanted to make space for those less glamourous feelings – of loss, sadness, grief, wistfulness and confusion which are so much a part of every life, and so often close to the surface for those of us living the life unexpected.
I thought you might find this recording of my Reflect & Renew webinar which I hosted last week (29th December 2018) to talk about feelings that come up at this ‘in-between’ liminal moment in the year, and how to cope with them.
There are also questions from viewers on coping with difficult questions, navigating female friendships, self-care, grief work, ageing as a childless woman, childlessness in the workplace and more! I mention a lot of resources and I’ve listed them all at the end of the video and below.
Please sign up to www.bit.ly/gw-update to know when I’ll be hosting my next free webinar and also to download a free chapter from my book, ‘Living the Life Unexpected: 12 Weeks to Your Plan B for a Meaningful and Fulfilling Life Without Children’ – I mention quite a few different sections from my book in this webinar and how they can be used to help understand or shift certain aspects of our experience as childless women. I know it can be daunting to read it, but why not just dip into the various bits I mention?
My wish for you this new year is that the space created by letting go fills up with self-care, self-compassion and other lovely nourishing things.
Resources mentioned in this webinar:
- Gateway Women website: www.gateway-women.com
- My book “Living the Life Unexpected: 12 Weeks to Your Plan B for a Meaningful & Fulfilling Future Without Children” by Jody Day www.gateway-women.com/book (You can also download the intro and first chapter free at www.bit.ly/gw-update)
- Poem: ‘Starlings in Winter’ by childless poet Mary Oliver in (2003): Owls, And Other Fantasies: Poems and Essays
- An enlightening book of essays about being childfree by choice which busted my preconceptions about the childfree choice being an ‘easy one’: ‘Selfish, Shallow & Self Absorbed: Sixteen Writers on the Decision Not to Have Kids’, edited by Megan Daum.
- An excellent book about self-care by another childless psychotherapist, Tracey Cleantis: ‘An Invitation to Self Care’.
- My TEDx talk ‘The Lost Tribe of Childless Women’ by Jody Day www.bit.ly/jodytedtalk
- Megan Devine’s book about grief (for those in grief and those supporting someone who is grieving) ‘It’s OK that You’re Not OK’ and also a short animated clip on how to support a grieving friend at www.refugeingrief.com
- Ageing Without Children www.awoc.org the UK organisation advocating, campaigning and supporting those ageing without children for whatever reason
- Childlessness in the workplace article on the Gateway Women website: www.gateway-women.com/workplace
- Meet other childless women through Gateway Women either at meetups www.gateway-women.com/meetup or our private online community www.gateway-women.com/community
- Other recorded podcast and webinar interviews with Jody www.gateway-women.com/talking-about-childlessness
- Sign up to my list to learn about future webinars & download a free chapter of my book: www.bit.ly/gw-update