Finding a counsellor

How do I find a counsellor or therapist to help me with my childlessness?

  • You might want your prospective therapist if they have experience with childlessness-related grief as many of us have found that therapists are not immune to the same unconscious prejudices as the rest of society.
  • If you’re in the UK, you can find a therapist near you via the UKCP or BACP.
  • In the UK you could also try Wellbeing’s ‘Find A Therapist’ questionnaire designed to help you identity the therapeutic approach that may work best for you.
  • If you have experienced infertility, you may like to find someone via the BICA website (British Infertility Counselling Association). They are aware of the work of Gateway Women and I have spoken at their events.
  • If you are feeling in deep despair about your childlessness, I really recommend contacting The Samaritans if you are in the UK. YOU DON’T NEED TO BE FEELING SUICIDAL TO CALL THEM. They have a 24 hour number 08457 90 90 90. Sometimes the feelings of grief and hopelessness that childlessness can bring up can be very deep and talking to someone can really help. The middle of the night, weekends, Christmas and other holidays can be an especially tough time for childlessness so please don’t feel you’re being melodramatic…

Please let us know in the comments below if you know of any other resources in this area that we might include.

Be the first to comment

What's your experience?

%d bloggers like this: