FACILITATED BY GEN SMYTH
There is life after childlessness, despite what the media, your friends, your mother and your inner bitch would have you believe! A meaningful and fulfilling life that makes sense to you because you custom-made it for yourself.
From Jody: Do watch this short video in which I introduce you to Gen Smyth, who has worked through her childless grief with me and with the friends she has made through Gateway Women, and who I have personally trained to lead this weekend. Since I created the Reignite Weekend in 2012 it has helped thousands of childless women move forward with their lives and has introduced them to some wonderful new friends. Years later, many of them still meet at ‘Reignite Reunions’ and are woven into the fabric of each other’s lives. By training others to lead this weekend, it is my hope that more of you will be able to experience some of the ‘magic’ of the Reignite Weekend. Gen speaks very eloquently of her experience of coming along and how attending that first day felt like ‘jumping off a cliff’, how she came to be a childless woman, what her experience of healing has been like and what one thing she would like you to know about doing this weekend with her. I hope you enjoy meeting Gen and having her as part of your life, I certainly do. Hugs, Jody x
This Gateway Women Reignite Weekend is for you if you’re:
- A woman who wanted to have children but it didn’t work out for any reason: infertility, didn’t meet partner, partner didn’t want (more) children, chronic illness, badly timed breakup, etc, etc… There are so many ways this can happen…
- Struggling with relationships with friends and family as ‘the odd one out’
- Wondering where your mojo went and where the hell to start looking for it!
- Lonely and confused about your place in society when all you can see around you are mothers and families…
- Knowing that you need to make some changes to your life but feeling too tired, sad & uninspired to know what to try next…
- Worried about growing old without children…
- Furious that you ‘did all the right things’ and have ‘ended up’ like this!
This Reignite Weekend is led by Gen Smyth, who has been trained personally by Jody Day, the founder of Gateway Women.
Gen, 46, has been involved with Gateway Women for the last few years after hearing Jody on the radio and realizing she wasn’t alone… Unable to have children due to recurrent miscarriages in her 30s, she now lives in South Croydon with her partner and their lively rescue dog. After attending one of Jody’s Reignite Weekends in 2014, she jumped at the chance to do the year long Gateway Women Plan B Mentorship Programme, which she graduated from in 2016. Regularly on the Gateway Women online community as “JennyWren”, she has a particular interest in supporting women with mental health problems, driven by her personal and professional experience as a mental health occupational therapist. You can contact her directly on email@example.com
As Gen writes: “Gateway Women was an absolute lifeline for me when I didn’t know where to turn. It has changed my life for the better and I’m really grateful for the support and nurture I have received. Running this Reignite Weekend feels like a chance to give back by offering other women the space to think about what they have lost and crucially, what their Plan B might look like.”
Over the course of the Reignite Weekend you will:
- Unpick the assumptions that the culture has about motherhood (and non-motherhood) and let go of what doesn’t ‘fit’ you.
- Look at where you are holding onto unhelpful ideas and shame about the the life choices you’ve made (and the non-choices too) which have led you to ‘ending up’ without the family you hoped for.
- Explore and express unresolved grief about your childlessness; grief which our culture neither acknowledges, understands nor allows (and consequently neither do we, sometimes).
- Reexamine the dreams and goals you had for your life before you became convinced that having a baby was the only thing that mattered.
- Reignite your passion for your life, and and start thinking what your ‘Plan B’ might be for a meaningful and fulfilling life without children.
- Meet your new tribe – the wonderful, powerful, wise and funny Nomos (not-mothers). There are more of us than you realise and we’re not the bunch of ‘weeping weirdoes’ you might fear! In fact, we’re a pretty amazing and courageous bunch of women…
After the workshop and into the future
The bonds that are made during the Reignite Weekend are very special and most women wish to take those friendships forward as they integrate the learning and healing from the weekend into their daily lives. As many of us have experienced, one of the unexpected and unsettling side effects of unchosen childlessness is that we may lose the easy connection we once had with a large part of our peer group as our friends move to a country called ‘motherhood’ where we can’t follow and will never fully speak the language. Having new Nomo (not-mother) friends to plug the gap can make coping with our situation not only more tolerable, but actually fun again! It also makes it easier to keep our friendships going with our ‘mum friends’ because we’re not so bent out of shape with a combination of resentment, jealousy and boredom around them… As the weekend draws to a close, Gen will facilitate ways to organise ongoing contact with each other, should you wish that.
More details and to book
- When: Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd June 2018
- Times: 9.30am – 5pm
- Cost: £295 Earlybird (by 28th April), £350 full price after. Places bookable with £125 deposit (which also reserves the Earlybird price). All balances due on/before 28th April. Once you have reserved your place, Gen will be in touch to arrange your payment method – either PayPal or direct bank transfer. If you wish to contact Gen about payment methods please email her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lunch & Breaks: There are plenty of cafes, restaurants and shops where you can get a tasty lunch. You can also bring a packed lunch if you prefer. We’ll also take a morning and afternoon coffee break of 15 mins.
- Where: 101 Stroudley Road, Brighton, BN1 4DJ https://www.jurysinns.com/hotels/brighton Tel: +44 127 386 2121
- Directions & Parking: This hotel is easily accessible from all major transport points in Brighton. Whether you’re travelling by car or public transport. For full details and a map, click here.
There are AirBnB’s rooms and apartments close to the workshop venue ranging from £35-£100 GBP per night. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/
If you wanted to stay in a hotel, you’ll be spoilt for choice in Brighton: here is the official tourist board website: https://www.visitbrighton.com/accommodation
- How to book: click here to book
- How Many Women: In order to create an intimate and safe atmosphere, the workshop is restricted to 12 women only.
- Who is the Reignite Weekend for? Women of any age, partnered or solo, who wanted to have children and for some reason, it didn’t work out. If you’re keen to move forward and create a meaningful and fulfilling life without biological children, it’s for you.
- What is the cancellation policy? Your £125 deposit is non refundable. If you cancel prior to 28th April you may request a refund of any payments made (minus your deposit). After that date, we can only refund your payments (minus your deposit) if we can resell your spot.
- Any other questions please contact Gen Smyth directly: email@example.com. Alternatively, you can contact GWs Community Manager, Helen: firstname.lastname@example.org or Jody herself on email@example.com
Some feedback from women who’ve taken part in previous Reignite Weekends:
It was such a supportive and brilliant course – so great to meet and share time with other Gateway Women, and it allowed me to challenge myself and see my way forward to my Plan B. (Tilly, 48)
I can’t describe the massively positive effect finding GW and attending a Reignite Weekend has had on my outlook, my life, my relationships, my ability to smile at babies and their mums again! (Kate, 43)
After getting to a very low point I thought I’d try the workshop. It was a great weekend. Just having the chance to think and explore my feelings with likeminded people was so helpful. (Leila, 39)
The course was excellent; well structured, clear and relevant and which helped me to understand the trauma I’ve been struggling though after finding out that we can’t have children. I met some amazing women on the course whose stories of facing difficulties with so much dignity and courage will stay with me. Thank you for giving me hope. (Janet, 47)
I attended the Reignite Weekend and I wholeheartedly recommend it. If you are feeling unsure about whether to go, I would say definitely do it. You will be in safe hands and in a very safe environment, sharing with other Gateway Women really helps and the exercises really get you thinking – in a good way. (Laura, 42)
I have been stuck in grief for a long time that hasn’t been shifting. [The weekend] helped me to understand exactly what I was feeling and why. Home now – I feel lighter, more positive and more gentle inside than I have felt for ages (Becky, 52)
It was amazing to realise I wasn’t alone, other women shared the pain, anguish, fear that I did, each with their unique story and each wanting their life to move on, but not sure how or where. I took the plunge and signed up for the workshop not knowing what to expect, or if it “was my sort of thing” – and it was the best thing I could have done. (Kristian, 42)
I attended this weekend with some ‘butterflies’ but it’s ended up being one of the best things I could have done. I’m more equipped than before I attended the event for moving on and getting to grips with my plan B. Best thing though was meeting the other Gateway Women and seeing I’m not alone… (Faye, 41)